Work With Us
Messersmith Manufacturing Inc. is a strong leader in the biomass boiler system industry. Based out of our facility in Bark River, MI, we design, manufacture, and install biomass boiler systems to serve customers in the education, healthcare, government and industrial sectors. We offer a competitive wage with benefits package including health insurance, company match retirement program, paid vacation and holidays.
All Positions General Labor Management Technicians
Bark River, Michigan
Dependent on Experience
- Manage the engineering department including efficiency and direction to engineering department personnel.
- Project management including coordination, project timelines, and exceeding customer expectations.
- Create and maintain all engineering department design standards, policies and procedures.
- Specify material handling equipment for appropriate motor sizing, load & drive speeds
- Design and calculate combustion air, blower and blower motor size for maximum efficiency.
- Design combustion system size and boiler outputs based on system requirements.
- Design air flow through a boiler system to maximum efficiency of blowers and fuel consumption.
- Calculate required amount of insulation and refractory needed for combustion system to obtain maximum efficiency and least amount of thermal loss based on calculations and cost effectiveness.
- Create and revise boiler room designs using Solidworks modeling software
- Work with sales, service and purchasing personnel to meet customer specifications and requests.
- Oversee all aspects of design and ensure all designs and drawings are completed accurately and in a timely fashion per manufacturing timeline and sales requests for submittal drawings.
- Work with project engineers and manage the project through the design and manufacturing phase.
- Travel to customer sites or trade shows as necessary.
Must possess the following:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Working knowledge of SolidWorks 3D Modeling software
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with co-workers, vendors and customers.
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task (work on more than one project at a time).
- Be self-motivated, able to either work alone or alongside others
- Determine, initiate and verify cost savings by calculations supported by data.
- Mechanical Engineering or equivalent and experience in the field of mechanical or structural design
- Installation and service of wood chip boiler systems (hot water and steam) including fuel handling equipment (augers, belt conveyors, etc.)
- Travel to sites of boiler facilities to provide routine and emergency service
- Troubleshoot and make repairs on combustion systems, motors, gearboxes, control panels, wiring, pumps, valves, emissions control devices, and related boiler room equipment
- Troubleshoot and repair Electrostatic Precipitators
- Prepare and maintain records on each customer’s facility and needs
- Assist in writing technical service manuals
- Cooperate and work with customers, inspectors and suppliers as required
- Startup and commissioning of new boiler systems
- Combustion analysis, tuning, cleaning and maintenance of existing boiler systems including EPA paperwork
- Train project staff on operation and repair of equipment
- Supervise MMI service and install crews
- Supply required documentation as needed
- Participate in approved job training and professional development courses
- Work will be conducted at our main facility in Bark River, MI as needed
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Knowledge of heating systems, boilers and related power equipment, conveying equipment, electrical controls, boiler codes and safety standards
- Strong mechanical aptitude and attention to detail
- Welding and fabrication experience
- Good problem solving and communication skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects at a time
- Valid motor vehicle operator’s license
- Self-motivated and dedicated to meeting expectations of internal and external customers
- Flexible schedule to meet customer demands
- Must be able to work in public schools and government facilities
This position reports to the Service Manager.
Bark River, Michigan
Pay will be dependent on experience
- Fabrication, assembly and installation of wood chip boiler systems (hot water and steam) including fuel handling equipment (augers, belt conveyors, etc.)
- Welding components in flat, vertical or overhead positions
- Reading and following blueprints for equipment to be built
- Shearing, bending, cutting and forming steel
- Sanding, grinding, and cleaning welds
- Machining (mill and lathe) and drilling of components
- Casting and pounding refractory
- Cutting, soldering and threading pipe
- Operation of forklifts, scissor lifts, overhead cranes and other heavy machinery
- Travel to customer locations for installations and similar work
- Other duties as assigned
Prior welding experience is required. Pay will be dependent on experience.